Also we ask what you could conceivably buy with $890 million?
Reported by Politico and the Washington Post, the Koch Brothers network of wealthy conservatives are planning to raise $889 million for the 2016 elections. If they were able to reach that goal, it would be the first time that an outside actor was able to generate that kind of cash. Actually if the Koch network was able to pull together that kind of money, it would out-raise both of what the Democratic or the Republican parties accumulated in the 2012 elections, according to OpenSecrets.
Ok let’s get the obvious out of the way first; $890 million is a STUPID amount of money. So much so, that if you’re like me, when you hear a number that obscene it’s hard to actually quantify. After a little research, here are some examples of things you could buy for $890 million.
- You could buy the NBA franchise Milwaukee Bucks (sold for $550 million) and build a new multi-purpose arena for them to play in (scheduled cost around $340 million).
- You could launch off on NASA’s new rocket ($500 million) and deploy a satellite that also carries a missile-warning device system ($390 million).
- You could feed every homeless person in the US a Chipotle chicken burrito for 233 days straight.
- You could buy Nikolai Volkoff.
- You could make the Lord of the Rings Trilogy ($281 million), the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy ($343 million), Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Parts 1 and 2 ($250 million), AND have $10 million left over for hookers and blow. Or you know, whatever Hollywood producers do with that much money.
Or you could just use that money and coalesce around a single candidate in the GOP primaries, then pressure said candidate to follow views that align with yours while single-handily corroding the very fabric of American democracy.
You know, whatever floats your boat. The world is your oyster Koch Brothers!
(Photo Credit: Google Images)